Rio Tinto’s Now the Sole Owner of Canada’s Diavik Diamond Mine

Nov 26, 2021
216 views
0 share

Rio Tinto is now the sole owner of Canada’s Diavik Diamond Mine, located in the Northwest Territories.

The company previously owned 60 percent of the mine and operated it. Dominion Diamond Mines owned the remaining 40 percent.

In April 2020, Dominion was granted insolvency protection under the Canadian Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.

Dominion sold its other diamond mine, the nearby Ekati, in February 2021 and now, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta has approved the sale of its stake in Diavik to Rio Tinto. 

Under the terms of the transaction, Rio Tinto has acquired all remaining assets held by Dominion, including unsold Diavik production and cash collateral held as security for the costs involved in closing the mine in the future. 

Rio Tinto has, in return, released Dominion and its lenders from all outstanding liabilities and obligations. 

References


https://www.nationaljeweler.com/articles/10378-rio-tinto-s-now-the-sole-owner-of-canada-s-diavik-diamond-mine

Comments


Rio Tinto’s Now the Sole Owner of Canada’s Diavik Diamond Mine

Nov 26, 2021
216 views
0 share

Rio Tinto is now the sole owner of Canada’s Diavik Diamond Mine, located in the Northwest Territories.

The company previously owned 60 percent of the mine and operated it. Dominion Diamond Mines owned the remaining 40 percent.

In April 2020, Dominion was granted insolvency protection under the Canadian Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.

Dominion sold its other diamond mine, the nearby Ekati, in February 2021 and now, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta has approved the sale of its stake in Diavik to Rio Tinto. 

Under the terms of the transaction, Rio Tinto has acquired all remaining assets held by Dominion, including unsold Diavik production and cash collateral held as security for the costs involved in closing the mine in the future. 

Rio Tinto has, in return, released Dominion and its lenders from all outstanding liabilities and obligations. 

References


https://www.nationaljeweler.com/articles/10378-rio-tinto-s-now-the-sole-owner-of-canada-s-diavik-diamond-mine

Comments


We uses cookies to improve website performance. You can learn more about the use of cookies at Cookie Policy   Setting Accept

×
140 ITF Tower Building, 4th Floor,<br> Silom Road, Suriyawong, Bangrak, <br>Bangkok10500, Thailand
Phone: (662) 634-4999 ext 444
Fax: (662) 634-4970